ISMLA exists to provide a forum for modern language teachers in independent preparatory and secondary schools to meet, share ideas and inform themselves about and contribute to developments in modern language teaching.
ISMLA’s activities can be summarised as follows:
- We represent the views of member schools vis-a-vis government, awarding bodies and other organisations. We have a close working relationship with ALL (The Association for Language Learning).
- A committee member is responsible for liaising with awarding bodies over members’ examinations concerns.
- We publish a termly newsletter (past editions of which can be downloaded from this website).
- We hold a National Conference every Spring Term.
- We run conferences dedicated to individual language areas (e.g., German, Spanish).
- We offer schools and organisations support for other events, such as regional conferences.
Members are warmly invited to contact the relevant ISMLA committee member to voice any views they may have about key issues concerning modern language teaching in this country. The Examinations Liaison Officer is particularly interested in complaints about the setting and marking of public examinations (with accompanying evidence!). Contributions to ISMLA’s termly newsletter are also gratefully received.
It is ISMLA’s goal to ensure that all types of independent school and all regions of Great Britain are represented. The Chairman, Sara Davidson, and the Vice-Chairman, John Wilson, would be pleased to hear from any teacher who would be interested in joining the committee.